Frequently asked questions

Find answers to frequently asked questions below. If you require further information and for anything else, please contact

  • Why does my company have to comply with CRC?

    The CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme was established by the UK government in 2010 to promote energy efficiency and reduce carbon emissions. It is mandatory for all organisations that qualify. Qualification for this Phase of the CRC (which will last until around August 2014) was on the basis of meeting a threshold of 6,000,000 kWh of electricity consumed through half hourly meters in 2008. Where a company is part of a bigger group, the threshold and subsequent qualification applied to the whole group and not to individual members of that group. Other members of the group, and new members joining the group, must comply with the scheme as part of the group. If you would like to discuss your company’s participation in the scheme, please email
  • Why are we using a software system to complete this process?

    Using a software system greatly streamlines the process for collecting and validating data, and for maintaining evidence to support the consumption reported.
  • When will I make payments and how will the be calculated?

    CRC allowances will be purchased by the group in July 2012. Payment mechanics are still being worked through, but allowance costs will be allocated to each company in proportion to their emissions liability and it is expected that each can pay their allocation directly to the environment agency. Allowances cost £12 per tonne of CO2 emitted by the company.
  • What information do I need to get to submit in the system and comply with CRC?

    AMEE have pre-loaded information on companies, sites and meters/energy supplies into the system.

    Your first task is to confirm that this information is complete and correct. New sites can be added to the Companies page by the Business Manager. See separate FAQ on what happens if a company or site is sold or closed.

    Energy supplies can be added from the Sites page. Most of these should already be in the system and you should only need to do this if a new supply has been installed or for new sites. See separate FAQ on adding energy supplies.

    Your second task is to add energy consumption data for electricity, gas and other fuels used on each site. These must be supported by evidence which will need to be attached to the consumption record and which should also be the source of the data.

    Consumption data may be entered as one annual figure for each meter or on a monthly/quarterly basis (depending on frequency of billing/meter reading). However note there may be extra evidence requirements if you provide one annual figure.

    It is very important to indicate if the consumption is Actual or Estimated as supplies that are deemed to be estimated will incur an uplift in allowance costs (see FAQ on actual/estimated).
  • What do I do if a company or site has closed or has been sold in the CRC Year 1 April 2011 to 31 March 2012?

    Go to the company or site page and select edit. Add an end date to the company or site. This must be the point at which the company or site was sold/closed or in the case of void units, the date tenant took possession.
  • Do I need to add all new energy supplies?

    For this CRC Year 2011/12 you do not need to record energy supplies other than electricity or gas.
  • How do I add energy supplies?

    From the Sites page, go to Metered Energy Supplies and select add Meter. Give the meter a name which will help you identify it. You may need to refer to the energy bill and look at the meter itself for some of the information required here.

    The 13 digit Meter Point Adminstration Number (MPAN) for electricity in England, Wales and Scotland, or MPRN in Nothern Ireland needs to be added. For gas, provide the Meter Point Reference Number. These numbers can be found on the energy invoice.

    The supply type information is critical as this determines whether the supply will need to be included in the CRC annual report. For electricity, this is determined by the Profile Class and AMR (automatic meter reading status). The Profile Class is the first two digits of the Supply Number which can be found on the electricity bill.

    For gas, the supply type is determined by the consumption of gas in the Footprint Year 2010/11 and by the AMR status. If the meter is new or the site was not included in the fund’s Footprint Report for 2010/11, request your energy supplier to tell you the Annual Quantity.

    If you have a remotely read meter, please indicate the installation date, as this contributes to the fund being given credit for early energy saving actions in the CRC.

    It is best practice to also include the Meter Serial Number - this relates to the actual meter rather than the connection to the grid. This can usually be found on the energy bill and is often a mixture of numbers and letters. If it is not on the bill, it can be found on the meter itself.
  • For what period do I need to provide data?

    Data must be provided for the period 1 April 2011 to 31 March 2012 (CRC Year). If the billing period or annual statement does not begin on the first of the month, please enter the actual bill/annual statement dates and the app will pro-rate the consumption in order to derive the consumption in the CRC Year.
  • What must I do to ensure I am entering the correct annual figure and evidence ?

    You must make a decision as to whether the emissions for the year count as actual or estimated. The whole year counts as actual if there were at least two actual meter reads at least 6 months apart. Meter reads could be your own meter reads or meter reads taken by the suppliers. If you have received an annual statement from your supplier, this may already have made this determination.

    For evidence, you will need to provide an annual statement OR 12 months of utility bills/meter read log sheets along with a note on how the estimated/actual determination was made. These should be uploaded as a zip file.
  • My site is in a Climate Change Agreement (CCA) but the company is not exempt from CRC. What do I do?

    You need to tick the box at site level to confirm that the site is in a Climate Change Agreement. This may already be done for sites reported on last year. Please deduct any electricity and gas supply to the CCA facility from the total electricity and gas for the site.
  • What forms of evidence are acceptable?

    Acceptable evidence for consumption can be:

    • invoice/bill from supplier;
    • annual energy statement from supplier;
    • meter read log sheet (NOT a summary spreadsheet);
    • database of automatic meter reads 
    If you wish to use other forms of evidence please first check with AMEE via

  • How many pieces of evidence can be uploaded for each consumption figure?

    Only one document can be uploaded for each consumption figure. If you wish to include more documents, please create a zip file and upload that.
  • Where can I get my energy consumption information and meter readings?

    Energy consumption information can be obtained from a number of sources. If your company has an energy consultant/energy broker, they may have the consumption.

    • Supplier invoices could be obtained from your accounts payable department.
    • Supplier annual statements can be requested from energy suppliers (but note that it is probably too late to order these now in advance of the reporting deadline)
    • Meter readings may be held by site managers;
    • Electricity data for half hourly metered supplies may be available from your supplier’s website;
    If you have installed AMR (automatic meter reading), the data should be available on a database.

  • What do I do if I do not have evidence to support my submissions?

    If you have the consumption data, please enter it. Please continue to look for the evidence to support the submission and add it as soon as possible. You could also request copy invoices or an annual energy statement from your supplier.
  • What does the system mean by “estimated” versus “actual”?

    For data entered on a quarterly or monthly basis, “actual” means that there is a beginning and end meter read. This could have been taken by the supplier, either by visiting the site or by automatically reading the meter, or it could be a meter read by the site/facility manager. The CRC scheme then considers whether a particular supply considered over the whole year counts as actual or estimated, and applies an uplift in allowance costs to those supplies considered to be estimated. Actual supplies are those where there are at least two meter readings which cover at least half the CRC year ie are at least 6 months apart.
  • Who in my company should complete this submission process?

    The person responsible for managing energy at site or company level is best placed to enter the energy consumption data and evidence.
  • How is this information used to actually report to the Environment Agency for CRC compliance?

    The information is aggregated at Fund level and summary information on energy consumption is provided to the Environment Agency online via the CRC registry. As this is a self-certification scheme, a detailed evidence pack must be maintained to support the energy consumption data submitted.